Saturday, August 23, 2008
Everyday Aromatherapy Part 3 : Repel Insects and Sooth Bug Bites Naturally
Submitted by Jennifer Nordin
This month’s featured essential oil blend is Purification which can naturally repel insects AND soothe bug bites of any kind. Ticks really hate this stuff! I put several drops in my palms and rub them together until the oil is ALMOST gone then rub my hands thoroughly over my shoes, socks, pant legs etc. Keeping in mind that everything we inhale or put on our skin ends up in our bloodstream, I don't want to inhale aerosol sprays or rub chemical insect repellents on myself or my toddler son. I make my own natural "bug wipes". I always carry a pack of fragrance free diaper wipes with me, so to make bug wipes on the go, I just pull out a wipe, put 2 or 3 drops of Purification on it and wipe it all over bare arms and legs until it is almost dry. If sitting outdoors, I'll set the wipe on or under the table for continued bug repelling.
Lemongrass, sage or thyme would work, too, but might irritate your skin so put it on your pant cuffs and shirt sleeves. As for your pets, you can put oils such as Purification, around their necks and backs, but watch to keep oils from around their eyes. So there you have it. Non-toxic pest control.
Shelleen Steele submitted the following tip:
“I went camping with a few different families. I took along my new Travel Fan Diffuser, with an idea to diffuse Purification® essential oil blend inside our trailer to keep the bugs away. When I got back from a hike, my husband had placed the diffuser outside on a table. I noticed that everyone was at our camp. The reason being was that their camps were full of bugs, but ours was bug free!”
Travel Fan Diffuser
Item No. 4457
Item No. 3399 15 ml
These items are available online at oilsforwellness.younglivingworld.com or call 715-381-6979 to order.
After-Bite Remedies by David Stewart, Ph.D., R.A.
“Therapeutic grade essential oils are not only good insect repellents, they are also excellent after you have been bitten. Essential oils are great detoxifiers for insect bites because their chemistry can break down the poison and render it harmless. Because the molecules of essential oils are all lipid soluble and very tiny (less than than 500 amus) they all transdermal. Thus, when applied to a bite, they pass through the skin in sec?onds, reacting with the toxins injected by the insect and reducing their toxic effects. I was stung by a wasp recently and, within a few minutes, put Purification oil on it the area that had become red and swollen. The stinging sensation soon resided and within a few hours I could not tell that I had ever been stung.”
PURIFICATION Essential Oil Blend
This is an antiseptic blend formulated for diffusing to help purify the home and work environment. It cleanses the air and neutralizes mildew, cigarette smoke, and disagreeable odors, as well as repelling insects. When applied directly to the skin, Purification may be used to cleanse cuts and scrapes and may help neutralize the poison of bites from spiders, bees, hornets, wasps.
· Citronella (Cymbopogon nardus) is antiseptic, antibacterial, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, insecticidal, antispasmodic, and soothing to the tissues.
· Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) has strong antifungal properties when applied topically.
· Lavandin (Lavandula x hybrida) is antifungal, antibacterial, a strong antiseptic, and a tissue regenerator.
· Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) is antiseptic and antimicrobial and may be beneficial for skin conditions and dandruff. It may help fight Candida and is anti-infectious and antispasmodic.
· Melaleuca (Melaleuca alternifolia) is antiseptic, anti-infectious, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antiparasitic, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, immune-stimulating, decongestant, neurotonic, and protects against radiation.
· Myrtle (Myrtus communis) is antibacterial and may support immune function in fighting cold, flu, and infectious disease.
APPLICATIONS: Diffuse 15 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours. Apply topically to disinfect and cleanse. Put on cotton balls to place in air vents in the home, car, hotel room, office, enclosed areas, etc. for purifying and repelling insects.
· Diffuse Purification oil to clean the air and neutralize foul or stale odors.
· While traveling, inhale Purification oil during flights to protect you from pathogens found in the re-circulated air.
· Put a drop of Purification oil on insect bites to cleanse and stop the itching.
· Apply a drop of Purification oil on blemishes to clear the skin.
· Rub a drop of Purification oil on the outside of a sore throat when it is first beginning.
· Spritz several drops of Purification oil mixed with water to repel insects.
· Apply Purification oil and Peppermint oil diluted with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil to a cotton swab and rub just inside the ear to eliminate ear mites in cats and dogs.
SAFETY DATA: If pregnant or under a doctor's care, consult your physician prior to use. May be irritating to those with sensitive skin. Avoid eye contact. In case of accidental contact, put a few drops of any pure vegetable oil in the eye and call your doctor if necessary. Never use wa?ter.
To obtain a FREE product guide for therapeutic essential oils and diffusers contact Jennifer Nordin.
Order online at oilsforwellness.younglivingworld.com Visit Jennifer’s aromatherapy blog: oilsforwellness.blogspot.com
Jennifer Nordin, Massage and Aromatherapy Practitioner
At Peace Therapeutic Massage (exclusively for women)
2217 Vine Street, Suite 203,Hudson, Wisconsin 54016
Recently Dr. Matt and I have been focusing our attention on clarity. One of our first tasks was writing down in an easy to read way the basic premises that drive our practice. I would like to share them with you as I believe they are of utmost importance in regards to your health and your understanding of chiropractic.
Our Core Ideas
1. Everything In Life Is Continually Changing, Including Your Body. Your body must constantly adapt and change to your environment to stay alive. EVERY MOMENT, your body is either growing stronger and moving towards health, wellness, and wholeness, or growing weaker and moving away from health and the state of wholeness it desires.
2. You Are More Than Just Your Body. In you (and in all LIVING things) there is an energy present that is absent in NON-LIVING things. This “life energy” is used by every cell in your body to carry out all the activities and functions needed to keep you alive and well.
3. Health Is A Product Of The Normal Expression Of Your Life Energy. Health is the result when your mind and body FUNCTION NORMALLY and easily ADAPT to common stresses in your daily life. This natural and dynamic state is a result of the adequate expression of life energy in your body.
4. Your Body Requires Specific Elements For Health. In order to maximize the expression of your life energy you need three key elements: 1) a deliberate and POSITIVE FOCUS, 2) a HEALTHY LIFESTYLE, and 3) a CLEAR NEUROLOGICAL CONNECTION between your brain and your body.
5. Your Brain-Body Connection Is Regulated By Your Spine. A clear neurological connection between your brain and body, and the maximum expression of your life energy, is only possible when your SPINE is ALIGNED and functioning normally.
THE PURPOSE OF CHIROPRACTIC CARE IS TO MAXIMIZE THE EXPRESSION OF YOUR LIFE ENERGY THROUGH RESTORING AND MAINTAINING THE NEUROLOGICAL CONNECTION BETWEEN YOUR BRAIN AND YOUR BODY.